Monday 10 June 2019

Nothing in the shadow cast in the mirror


な あ 影 鏡 世
き る に に の
に に あ 映 中
も も れ る は
あ あ や
ら ら
ず ず


実朝

Yo no naka wa
Kaga mi ni utsuru
Kage ni are ya
Aru ni mo arazu
Naki ni mo arazu

Our existence
is like a reflection
in a mirror
It really does not exist
but also doesn't not exist


Minamoto no Sanetomo (1192-1219) was a shōgun during very troubled times. He was a very gifted poet, writing more than 700 poems between 17 and 22 years of age, especially excelling in the art of the tanka


Earlier on today I was discussing with a dear friend of mine the fact that Greek plays still retained, thousands of years later, that humanity which moved us to tears, which made us (re)think life and our choices; how Greek myths would mirror some of the situations we experienced, which made us pause and ponder.

I had copied this tanka a while ago in my notebook, and it seems so fitting for the both of us right now that I cannot let such a caressing serendipity slip by unnoticed. Here it is, again, for you, dearest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...