Thursday 6 June 2019

Elsa


“Elsa and I” within a heart
is what we carved in the bark.

That was so long ago.

Yet the warm greyness
of this memory
is so appealing
it began snowing
inside of me.

Elsa and I are gone now.
She was all the words
that I would find
She was all the fights
that I would win
– now only a lean
string of mind –
yet she was the home
I didn't know I had.

Her darkbrown eyes
had silvery flakes
like some obsidian stones
like meteorites
reflected upon a lake.

I discovered that
my memories of her
have the power
to stop time.
Now when I make lemonade
I think of her,
of her hair flowing
between my fingers.
When I wake up from my daydream,
the world is about the same
as when I left it.

And though I can't recall
the exact texture of her hair
I believe I find it again
when I daydream of her
when I cry because I miss her.

Elsa passed away
ten years ago today.

Elsa and I will never be, ever again.
She will never again press
her head in my lap
squeeze my hand
for a reason known only to her.

Even back then she was eternal to me.
Such a being could never cease to be.

When I saw her on that hospital bed
in her heart she was ready
so she passed on to me
many memories of her, of us,
of her family.

She was a little over thirty,
and there she was, among the old,
dying before them all,
dying before she could spread
all the goodness she had in her.

What I would learn
in the next ten years
is that she had built us a home
here in the darkness
from which none
is supposed to return.

Elsa is now a collage
of memories
and sensations
emotions I kept
in some sort of box
which I enter
when I open it –
the house she built
with pictures on the walls
strands of hair on her pillow
wet footsteps on the bathroom floor
tangy lemonade on the back porch
with clinking ice cube and ready-to-fall straw
distant humming in some other room
her perfume drifting in and out of the draught
whispering in my ear, spooned on a hospital bed,
that everything is going to be all right
and she knew it would be for she had been there
and left the key to the house under the mat.

Now I could carve Elsa
on every tree there is
and it wouldn't bring her back.
I could shout her name to the skies
the clouds would remain mute.
I could read and read again
her last letter that I wouldn't
hear the tone of her voice.

Believe me, I have tried.
Yes, Elsa is no more.

“Move on against wind and tide,”
she told me to do that night
and, every once in a while,
come to see her, to say hello,
to have a lemonade and a chat,
to change the flowers
and cook us something nice.
Perhaps tell her a story,
my day at work
or a poem I wrote,
until she falls asleep
and I place a cushion
under her head
and tiptoe my way out
shutting the door behind me
look up at the summer stars
dry my tears
with the back of my hand
and with a sigh
wake up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...