Sunday 16 June 2019

Nightshift


3:21
am. 
Still wide awake.
Well, technically I did sleep,
for nigh on two hours. 
Nothing woke me up 
and that’s what’s worrying.
My heart beats with the night,
but my head spins a little.
Perhaps it’s a tumour which prevents
my brain from producing melatonin.
Or a blood vessel popped in my brain
and like the sun exploding
I’ll realise it in 8 minutes and change.

3. 2. 1.
Countdown to death.
Missing a zero, suspended,
cliffhanger to zilch.
Or perhaps I’m supposed
to read it backwards
so now it’s a countup
to the number of cancers I have.
Or will have and survive.
Or I should read 32 I am,
but that’s even more mysterious
than anything that’s ever happened to me. 
32 what?

3:59am.
Seriously, I need to sleep.
I have a presentation tomorrow,
which technically we are already. 
I took a pill for the migraine
but I think it’s a grade 4 glioblastoma.
Has to be. Hurts really bad.
At 4 sharp, it’s going to be
death o’clock for me.
Pft, gone, ready to be dissected,
every inch inside and out examined
so they finally find what’s wrong.
Cartography of a thousand and one ailments.

4:00am.
Doom downloading: 50%.
Life on pause because 
there is no broadband.
We have to taste that irony at least once.
Or perhaps I’m already dead.
No presentation, no work, no life.
Silver linings of sorts.
But tons of silverer linings:
no more wildguessing my illnesses,
no groceries to be done,
no fretting over what to cook for lunch,
no awkward social interactions.
The perks of being dead.
Also: let’s not forget the silence.

4:41am
Waiting three more minutes
because that’s oddly satisfying.
Brain overdrive though,
I might never fall asleep, ever again.
First case of its kind.
They’ll find I have a totally different brain
than anyone on this planet
and they’ll slice it up and conserve it in formol
for future generations to unravel the mystery.
I blame the tumour, it’s now out of control. 
I might even start seeing the tunnel
behind my closed eyelids
like this one time in that motel
when I think I didn’t sleep
but simply passed out from sheer exhaustion 
and right before I saw the light,
this bright beam of light, at the end of a tunnel.
If only I could see instead
the night at the end of the tunnel.

5:00am
I might as well get up
and power through that day
with tumblers of coffee
and a sign hanging from my neck
that says: “Dying from brain cancer,
please remove when dead.”

5:12am
Somebody take a hammer
and knock me asleep.
Migraine abated, I think,
even though there’s no way to be sure,
the bastard pops up again
the minute you let your guard down.
Sunlight filters through the blinds.
Birds are waking up too.
I am so not ready to start that day.
Brain, let me grab another hour of sleep, please,
and I’ll make sure you get a scan
as soon as we get home on Friday.
One more hour, just to have the impression
that I had two nights’ sleeps in one.
Just so this day which hasn’t really started yet
gets to be one hour shorter.
That I could live with.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...