Wednesday 12 June 2013

Spectator-in-the-round



Run-of-the-mill characters from a worse play
Strut histrionically the ironic stage,
Iconic dumbness in stilettoed fancy-dress,
Made-up down to their pared toenails,
The farcical merry-andrews meander
Under the merrier patronage of ridicule.
Their burlesque antics have everyone chortle but I –
My mind's foibles invisible until then,
Until they uttered their pragmatic ineptitudes
Sucked from the paunchy thespian cow's udders.
I, being the only spectator reeling at the centre
Of this immense rostrum,
Look rather like the simpleton,
Quite impervious to their dramatic talent.
I am quite the Aunt Sally really,
Sullied by their sallies,
Quite the middle-of-the-road laughingstock,
The stock-in-trade jack-of-no-trade
That sends the frolicking cartwheelers
Rolling in the aisles – boy what a keeler!

Take me for a ride, jocular jokey jockeys,
For this slapstick world never is as wacky
As when you take turns to make it tacky!

Don't stop the marring-go-round,
We're having so much fun...
I promise that soon
With a red schnoz I'll return
And cook up my own puns.
In the meantime, my belovèd goons,
the shenanigans must resound!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

thirty thousand people

The day was torn and  grim birds yet began to sing as if they knew nothing’s eternal and old gives way to new that man, one day, will fall ...