Wednesday 4 January 2012

Root-quoting



"The more I look into the crowd, the more I feel alone."


Yodelice, song "Alone" on the album Tree of Life (2009).



____________

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever."

Genesis, 3:22, King James version.

____________

"As these words part with my tongue,
I wonder why they're even sung."

Ben Harper, song "Alone" on the album Burn to Shine (1999)

____________

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.”


Orson Welles, American actor, director, producer, writer (1915-1985)



____________

"Joe's rule number two: If you have to leave a party, you always take a traveler."

Can't remember which character, Joe perhaps, in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)

____________

“I told you the truth,” I say yet again, “Memory’s truth, because memory has its own special kind. It selects, eliminates, alters, exaggerates, minimizes, glorifies, and vilifies also; but in the end it creates its own reality, its heterogeneous but usually coherent versions of events; and no sane human being ever trusts someone else’s version more than his own.”

Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children (1981)


I could go on like this forever it seems...this is how I react to pretty much anything - come to think of it, everybody must react in much the same way too. Pandemonium set loose in the mind, or root-quoting as I call it affectionately. Hence the title.

Always bear in mind, though, that it's the first quote that triggered the avalanche.

1 comment:

  1. Il était bien lucide Orson Welles...

    C'est bien trouvé "root-quoting" :)

    ReplyDelete

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...