Wednesday 22 March 2017

while the night


while the night awaits
I unroll the high tide like a blanket
tightly under my chin
the waves like silken bedsheets

my body immense under the unlit sky
my arms stretching across the bay
my legs and feet unfolding far
far towards the invisible horizon
my head resting on the shelled sand
my lidless gaze resting in space

you can't understand if you haven't been there
but I'll let you come with me, if you wish

the waves tucked against my cheeks
the gentle glow of the stars
the silent scorch of the abated sun
the mind-music humming
the verses binding the thoughts
this perfected unity lulls me to sleep

I'll let you come, I'll let you come with me
to hear the heart of the sea pulse

while the night awaits
in that semblance of sleep
when memory takes over and starts dreaming
the soul-search commencing in the details,
in the inflexions of the voices,
in the shape of the sun,
in the form of the waves,
in the wrinkles at the corner of the eyes,
in the words, the meaninglessful words,

you can't understand if you can't see
you can't understand if you can't hear

yet if you have forgotten how to feel
or what it takes to listen
to hold a hand
or to withhold a hand
for they are like tears
I'll let you come with me
if you really want to see
if you really want to see
if you really want to see
when the world forms
what the world was, is, will be

while the night watches
while the blanket of the seas
envelops us both in loneliness
in exile, in brotherhood, in love
while the remanence of trees and rivers
traces arid songs of exile, brotherhood and love
and loneliness
bottled up deep in the ground

I'll let you come with me
and hold hands
and set the stars free
by breaking open glass poems
here, under the domed sky of Gyaros,
of Efstratios, of Makronisos
where my name is once again
and forever, Yannis Ritsos


to Rena
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...