Monday 20 March 2017

Ohm


Claims of achieved greatness,
of being a remarkable man
have been drowned
once and for all

all possible events were now
sunsets seen from rooftops
dousing the plain with fire
prime location to witness the end of the world

you put an end to us
you left me on the pavement
unwarned, unprepared
with nothing on but what I wore

you were a swarm of locusts
and hail like fucking cannonballs
a great tinnitus that wouldn't stop
a roaring gale felling trees
and you didn't care
you had to move forward
– leave corpses if need be –
it was a beast of a year
and you almost killed me,
I have to say,
first with love
then with hate

– oh, how much more potent hate is –

that great force you used
like a typhoon's
could hardly be resisted
turning soil into mud
levelling houses and minds

you were a freaking natural disaster

and quite oblivious of the magnitude
of the earthquake which you were about to raise
I stood there in the palm of your hands

and suddenly your hands
were in a fist packing a snowball
with locked jaws and a frowned brow

It's going to take a while to recover,
you know,
like learning how to walk again
(yes, I know what it feels like
it makes you wince
and cringe
and sometimes cry)
but I'm breathing
against all odds I should say
and, like you, moving forward

not as easily as you strut and parade now
looking great and feisty even
it's the slow march of a dead man
on his way back into the light

but one thing you made me realise,
haggard and panting and uncomprehending,
with fantasies of death dancing before my eyes,
is that I was happy and you weren't
– you couldn't and will never be –

so you went ballistic
and laid waste where our house stood
where our family might have existed
and be ruined much, much later,
because of you.

but claims of near-satisfaction
and of happiness
will be made once more
even if on an atoll somewhere
lost on a mountain range
on a squall-battered beach
daydreaming in front of a blank page
in a bloody bookshop I don't care

because to walk is to be happy
because I'll be happy again




I shall leave, then,
and not glance back

steadfast and fierce
in my exile
in my silence
cunning and subtle
scheming
perhaps dying alone, yes

but my spirit able
my voice untethered
unnormed
whole
like a tremor swelling from the ground up to the chest
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...