Sunday 21 July 2019

How far I've run


Look how far I've run, dad.

You always rehashed how slow I was.
You had spawned the fat kid at the back –
you hated me for that. How much you hated me.
Thirdpersoning me in my face,
setting the table for three
you, mom and sis.

If only you had noticed
the lightness of foot
the startling capacity to swerve.

What you couldn't possibly perceive
was the purpose you were giving me,
the fire you had started inside
and kindled – that rage,
that rage still burns wild, dad.

Look how far I've run
look at all the people who gave up
look now who's still running
look who's left in the dust
panting, their chest burning
by the wayside, defeat in their eyes.

It's you, dad. It's everyone else, dad.

Look, look how far I've run.

For I have never, ever stopped running.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...