Wednesday 26 December 2012

On the way to Mehamn


It is too difficult a task indeed to pinpoint exactly all the places here pictured.
On few occasions a signpost told me of a name, but more often than not only the beauty of the landscape is remembered.

Just so you know, here are the places I went through during this trip:
Finland: Inari - Kaamanen - Kevo - Utsjoki (road E6 - E75)
Norway: Sirma - Tana bru (road 970) - Rustefjelbma - Vestertana - Ifjord (road 98) -
Lebesby - Kalak - Mehamn (road 888)

The trip lasted 11 hours and 30 minutes and 770 km.

Almost certain this is Áitejohka (Finnmark), between Utsjoki (Finland) and Tana bru (Norway)

Áitejohka, other side

Áitejohka, a bit further down the road

Same as previous

Near Sirma

Same as previous

Between Sirma and Tana bru

Near Tana bru

Near Tana bru

I believe it is the Tanafjord

Between Tana bru and Rustefjelbma

 Ifjordjellet

Between Vestertana and Ifjord

Near Lebesby

Near Kalak

Near Kalak

A few kilometers south of the 71º parallel, the weather turned awry. Great gusts of wind swept across the road, jolting the car greatly. Apparently, the blizzard averaged 80km/h.

Lone house in the blizzard-battered wilderness

From bad to worse...

...to even worse.

Only decent picture of Mehamn I could muster. The road was impracticable and very slippery. I was too tired to drive down it and aim for the Barents Sea which I wouldn't have seen anyway.
I was mighty disappointed to have come this far and yet not to be able to see anything, but the trip as a whole was well worth it, as I witnessed the most spectacular landscapes ever.
Yet I think I will come back.

 On the way back home. Near Kalak, 'neath gentler climes.

Near Kalak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

thirty thousand people

The day was torn and  grim birds yet began to sing as if they knew nothing’s eternal and old gives way to new that man, one day, will fall ...