Tuesday 28 May 2019

The hollow man


I realised I have nothing to share
no treasured memory of my mother
no great song to sing to praise my brother
no feeling normal folk feel they can spare

I have been on more battlefields
than I can care to count
the type of wars where no spoils
but your own skin may be claimed

I've seen rougher skirmishes than tonight
yet here I am, scared to live, to breathe,
scared of my own fright

and nothing whatsoever to bequeath
no darkness, no blinding rage
only the unchurning emptiness
at the pit of the stomach
only the silences – which have grown
deeper with age –
where my heart should beat
where my soul should lurk

so instead I read an author's memory
of her mother and I call it my own
I listen to a song about another's brother
which I pretend I'm the first to sing
I fake feelings I think others feel
so that folk makebelieve
I have a heart
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

thirty thousand people

The day was torn and  grim birds yet began to sing as if they knew nothing’s eternal and old gives way to new that man, one day, will fall ...