Sunday 16 April 2017

Fragment #68


She appeared out of nowhere on that street
She was like a cornered deer
-- Listening to music, her hair slightly messy --
Darting defiant looks from under her brow
Her face closed -- if a little tense --
Her lips pursed with no apparent emotion
Staying her restless feet
-- She came forward packing up her earplugs
said her name a little too loud
And shook my hand firmly

Her profile had shown no picture
Her messages were to the bullet-point
Yet she was here now, larger than life
And smaller than her voice suggested
In a black mousseline dress
With red embroidered flowers 
Bright red lipstick and deep mascara

She looked hunted nonetheless
Her hazelnut eyes flitting about
And past my left shoulder
Everything about her said:
"Come and get me, I dare you"
I knew it wasn't my battlefield
Yet I answered the call to arms

And all of a sudden I realised
That I probably had the same sort of face, every once in a while,
That hunted expression

She was going to a ballet, she said
To justify her smart outfit and make-up
She sported a tote bag with spare clothes
And a smile to damn yourself for

I clearly damned myself the second I saw her

To recognise a hunted look means
you must have hunted something, once
And gorged on the fear before the kill
We had both hunted and been hunted
We had killed and spared
It was time to joust

Now the memory of her is tainted
The plain mockery of the finger
Finding the flaw and rummaging
Through the wound
She was hunting

Now she appears as in a haze
Distant and aloof
Condescending even as I messed up
Me wishing I hadn't said anything I said
The coup de grace was coming

I pity her, in a way,
For having to endure this ordeal
Yet she had the art to be hunted
-- To keep the hunt going I mean --
To worm herself into my waking dreams

Her perfume is now fading away
Her embrace yet remains intact
Her last lie a stone in the edifice
That will crumble and fall
Her last words already echoes
Everything is trite now and useless
The longing so damn strong yet gradually fading
Eventually falling apart, amid sighs and
Shoulders shrugging into the darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

thirty thousand people

The day was torn and  grim birds yet began to sing as if they knew nothing’s eternal and old gives way to new that man, one day, will fall ...