Sunday 27 July 2014

Tea-time


Tea has – and always will
be – spelt with an 'L'.
Why, you ask me,
quite rightfully?
The reasons are dead simple:
because it can serve as
a handy looking-glass,
because it may also be a well
with which you may your thirst quell,
but 'tis also a book by the fire
or a meal when times are a-dire,
'tis a long-lost child,
a brat you can't chide,
'tis a feisty woman on your knees,
a pouty Gill who says: “Pretty please?”
'tis a radiant Sunday afternoon
or a masked haiku by the moon;
tea is a deer throttled by a hound,
tea is midnight's fog on Edin's Mound,
tea is the books you'll never read,
tea is the crumbs and the birds you feed,
tea is a plane's fastened seatbelt –
that's why it can't but be spelt
on Earth, in Heaven and in Hell,
with anything but an 'L'.


I left a copy of this piece sellotaped on a concrete pillar in the Looking-Glass Bookshop in Edinburgh (fine place which I strongly recommend for the quality of the books, the warm welcome, the ready-for-anything spirit and the taste of tea I had there). There may be differences in the punctuation (same for the dating of the writing...my memory doesn't work wonders) and I originally left the title to be added by any potential reader, but it is essentially the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...