Friday 15 March 2013

The last



They're all that's left of my family,
The last remnants of a ragged house.
Tree bereft of branches and leaves.

Life passing by in fury or drowsily.
They're all that come at night and rouse
Me from slumber, the hours bundled in sheaves.

They're naught more than shadows.
They might be ghosts, roaming the meadows
Before my tired eyes, they might be.
They might be dead, for all I know.
They might be. They might be.
They come and stand at the threshold,
not undaring, not unimpatient.
As old as the world they are, as old,
and wroth they are, and uncomplaisant.

Yet only they remain of those I loved,
once, long ago, when I was young.
Oh, how many a lonely day has passed
since then! Beyond count and unsung
they are. Hours and shadows now glassed,
time having reclaimed them from the deep.
Time slowly through my pores seep
and all I can see are shadows, shadows
around me. They have come – in fact
they have never left. They tell me I owe
them my eyes, stipulated in some obscure contract.
There are talks now the debt to halve
For after this they said they'd leave
And those shades are all the family I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...