Saturday 2 March 2019

The blame


When you heard the screech on the asphalt
and realised your brakes didn't respond
you knew collision was bound to happen
perhaps you thought it wasn't your fault.

Perhaps, perhaps you saw my son
on the other side of your windscreen,
with his bright blue eyes wide open.

Perhaps, perhaps he froze on the spot
like the rabbit your bumper caught
last week – but that wasn't your fault.

It all happened in a flash, blinded
by the rising sun – maybe blunted
too, drowsy still in a sleepy slump.

When you heard the deafening thump
you knew one life had come to an end –
and again thought it couldn't be your fault –
perhaps then your heartbeats came to a halt.

You never know what's in the store of Fate,
but I knew, as all moms do, that something was off.
I had badgered my son not too be late
and in doing so I was behind time myself.

You see, my son that day was turning twelve,
and I wanted to organise a surprise dinner
but I had lots to do before the night's glitter.

So I dropped him near the roundabout –
the one which has become dangerous
for they have removed the hard shoulders –
that's why folk now take another route.

So when my son tried in a hurry to cross the road
he crossed yours and though you stomped
the brakes broke and your car flew
like a cannonball on morning dew.

When I got the call and reached the hospital
I mulled “how am I going to tell my husband
what has happened to our only child?”

I was directed by nurses with bowed heads
into a cold white room buzzing with sounds.
White blouses blinding in the blaring sun.
I still couldn't believe what you had done.

I heard my son's voice calling me as in a haze
though I couldn't see him through the wall of tears
only then did I start pondering whose fault it was.

Then I couldn't feel anything but pain –
losing a son isn't like losing a pen –
we can't rewrite any part of that tale,
not even a different, happier version.

This is why, Sir, I'm begging for your pardon
because had your son not swerved his car
and hit a wall to avoid my child
he would have had a blame to bear
with which he would never have reconciled.

Life will never be the same again
for you, for me, and for my son,
because yours gave his so ours could go on.

I will never forgive what he gave,
never forgive you said that he was brave
never forgive that you said at his funeral
that it wasn't anybody's fault.

That no one but ill-luck was to blame.

I wish – oh I wish I could say the same.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...