Sunday 24 March 2019

A word is a word is a word is a word


Gertrude Stein, on her deathbed, asked to the people around her "What is the answer?" As she didn't get any reply, she continued: "In that case … what is the question?"

Adapted from What Is Remembered (1963) by Alice Babette Toklas (1877-1967), Stein's lifelong partner.

As soon as I wrote this, the name Stein reminded me of Conrad's Lord Jim, and all of a sudden I was engulfed in a memory which I couldn't process up until now. I grabbed my diary and after a few minutes completed the following poem from my notes.


The Professor

The shaking hand
the mind stuck
inside the husk
the eye thanking
the eyelid twitching
in fond remembrance

and the implacable thirst
the cotton dipped in apple juice
dabbed on the gums to quench the pain

you were staring at the ceiling
when I timidly stepped into the room –
quite unlike your wife twenty years ago.
we had stayed until she had left
then we left and she stayed
and we were all stayed

yesterday it was your left side
prostrate arm and leg, drooping eyelid
which was stuck in time, in place
today your right side succumbed
but for your arm, and your toes

yet you don't seem to be moving at all
I wonder if you have died
but your eyes hold their ground

you groan, you stare into my eyes
you want something which you cannot name
so I hold the magic slate and the felt-tip
fell like your felt hat, long ago,
askew, in dashing silken white

the feeble fingers grip the pen
the instinctive grasp
the way you've always held your pen
on this second try you write
the last, terrible, clear-minded
“I am gone.”
You couldn't realise this
but these last words
are your last logos with me,
cenotaphing your memorial
in the graveyard of the mind

you remind me of Kurtz on his deathbed,
uttering the four words which sent
me on a life-long quest for the truth.
You had peeked behind the veil
had a foot across the threshold
you spoke your truth, aporia of a man

the glint which beckons to read on
so I recite and scan, give you Auden
because you had given it to me
two decades or so ago
Sunny Prestatyn wrinkles your eye
in cheeky souvenir
your inward eye sees the same
field of daffodils
which you made me see

I'm glad you got to keep that inward eye

and suddenly you grow tired
the day has waned
you frown when I don't understand,
tire of repeating, your mind alert
and pointing to the obvious
locked in the sarcophagus
of your own body.

You mean something I cannot yet understand.

Today, you have gone.


In fond memory of Philip L., who guided my first footsteps in the world of English Literature, who nurtured and listened, patiently advised, read and commented, inspired. We eventually became friends over our mutual passion for words, written and spoken, and thought. He was a funny, eccentric fellow and you'd be hard put to find a student who didn't like him. He had a great mind for quotes, and bequeathed me books when I left university...which were the same books which I read to him on the day I visited him at the hospital a few weeks after he had a stroke, a few weeks before he passed away. Each of his movements demanded he drew on a diminishing reserve of strength, which gave the slightest sigh greater significance, which gave his gazes greater heartache. Whatever awaits us, I hope you have found the rest you deserve, my dear friend.
 

1 comment:

  1. He’s watching, smiling, whilst Chopin is playing in the background, dancing with Isabelle...

    ReplyDelete

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...