Monday 16 July 2018

The bee


Grandpa waved and waved his arms
as if the libeccio in a fit of madness
had turned him into a scarecrow.
The afternoon was still and breathless,
not a snort of wind, not a thread of cloud.
It was a bee which Grandpa
was franctically after.
It first buzzed about the table
when Granny brought the melon;
it reappeared from somewhere
when it smelt the grilled sirloin.
By cheesetime Grandpa was so red
that he grabbed his empty glass and
in one swift motion belljarred the bee in.

It was as surprised as any of us,
banging on the lightletting walls.
Wine trickled down and formed
a circle of red on the sunstained
plastic cover. All were amused but I,
I couldn't take my eyes off the scene,
the tragedy wrought in a second.

The cutglass patterns drew
crosses of light which seemed
to dazzle the insect.

After a long while it grew tired,
or it fell into the purple ring;
it drank or perhaps drowned,
tittered, its wings jerking slowly
refused to carry it further, or perhaps
they had crushed on the glass.
The bee circled the rim, sensing air maybe,
its antennae erratic, its head rocking;
perhaps still drinking, or choking
on the spirits trapped inside.

It remained motionless for a while.
Grandpa lifted his glass and filled it,
gulped half of it, his eyes on the bee.
Watching the bee, which lay here,
unmoving, playing dead I hoped.
I had also hoped it had left its sting
so that Grandpa would gobble it down.
Neither of these things were happening.

I looked up and saw him observe me.
Perhaps he had been watching me all along.
He took a paper napkin, scooped up
the dead bee with an unbrutal motion
of his gigantic hand, walked
in the scorching summer sun
to the patch of verbena,
dug a small trench,
dropped the bee in.

When he sat back down
only the disturbed flowerbed
and the circle of red
bore proof that anything
had ever happened here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

Habits

I am a man of habits I got to this conclusion because I flash-realised that I am hoping that someone, someday will see the patterns the rou...