Monday 11 February 2019

Outspoken (new version)


I was told to be
out-spoken
but how can I be when
so often
I've been
spoken out
out of the playground
out off the bus
not a sound,
never one sound,
taken out
to avoid the fuss
how can I be when
I'm so soft-spoken
never one word
above the other
never have I given
anyone the f- word
even when
I was down-trodden
and I wouldn't bother
I just want to have fun
but people hold on
so to speak
they hold it up
against you
like you have to be
outspoken
or they tread on
they make a hell
out of a possible
heaven
and you can tell
it's such a burden
such a burden
don't speak out of turn
speak up, speak out
step up or step out
speak your mind
but mind your business
unspoken, unspoken
bespoke silence
speak for yourself
not for others
speak volumes
but keep it down
they want you to be
downspoken
ready to be
trodden upon
and yet, and yet
you can up
you can in and out
speak, speak, speak
your mind, your piece
your voice is unique
no need for their blessing
untrodden
that's your ground
never cease to be
outspoken even
against heaven
outspoken
the only lesson
you'll ever
need to remain
forever
unbroken.


About a year ago I published a piece titled "Outspoken", and it seemed fine at the time, but I read it again recently and decided it was time to prune and graft. It's not uncommon for me to revise, sometimes extensively, but I don't usually publish the revised version. Today, for whatever reason, is different. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Avis sur la chose en question
Feedback on the thing in question

thirty thousand people

The day was torn and grim birds yet began to sing as if they knew nothing’s eternal and old gives way to new that man, one day, will fall t...